Pages

Monday 30 August 2010

To Tweet or not to Tweet?

Since I left university in July, I've used numerous online tools to attempt to find a job. Some have been useful, some have been less than useless. By far the best has been Twitter.
I always rejected the idea of Twitter as something used by self absorbed people who think that the rest of the world wants to know what they're doing every second of the day. Don't get me wrong, there is definite evidence of this, but it can be so much more if you know how to use it.

With a growing importance placed on the use of social media in PR, the vast majority of PR agencies and professionals are on Twitter, so it's a great place to network and build up your contacts. Many journalists, news publications and TV shows also have Twitter accounts.

But if, like me, you're looking for a job it can be invaluable. Users such as student gems are great, as they post jobs only open to students, and all paid. I've got a number of freelance projects off them. @voxpopprcareers is also great, as it lists PR jobs up and down the country, many of which are entry level positions.

I would really recommend Twitter to any graduate who's struggling to find a job the traditional way.

No comments: