Pages

Friday 10 September 2010

Experience

Perhaps one of the most useful things I've learnt since I began my job hunt is the value of relevant experience. With more people than ever going to university, a degree just isn't enough anymore. You need to have something extra to distinguish yourself from the crowd of graduates flooding the job market. Plus, there are very, very few employers who would be willing to take on a graduate with no experience, no matter how good their degree is.
It can be hard to complete unpaid internships, which is why it's best to do so while your studying. While you have the relative security of a student loan, it's a good idea to spend a couple of days a week gaining some practical experience, which will serve you well in the long run. The more experience you have the better chance you'll be able to find a great job when you finish. Although I have quite a lot of work experience which I completed during my degree, I have been attempting to enhance this further still while I'm looking for a job. So, I've been doing some freelance writing for an SEO marketing company. I have Twitter to thank again for this position. As I previously mentioned I've also been working at a conference this week, which has lead to an internship with the events company behind it.
My advice to any current students would be to gain as much experience as you can, from different places relating to your chosen field, while you're completing your degree. It's pretty easy to dedicate two days a week to a placement, and it will prove incredibly useful when you leave university and begin looking for a job.

No comments: