Pages

Monday 6 September 2010

Is Preparation Everything?

I've just finished a three year PR and communications degree, as most people know. Now over those three years I completed many modules on different subjects which the university thought I was likely to encounter in the work place. However, what the course didn't cover was how to get a job. It sounds really obvious, but not once did we receive any kind of instruction or coaching about how to get that initial foothold in the industry. We had classes about writing a CV, cover letter and basic interview techniques, but never anything about how and where to look for jobs, how to promote yourself, how to enhance your CV for PR, nothing. And as I've mentioned before, it is incredibly difficult to find PR vacancies on job sites or in newspapers.
Now I'm not sure if this was just my experience, or whether other universities include this in their PR courses, but I think it's definitely something which should be included in the syllabus. Just a couple of classes to help students on their way would be really useful in my opinion. Let students know what PR agencies are looking for on CV's, what you can do to improve your skills, where and how to look for jobs, and how to make yourself stand out from the huge crowd of graduates all looking for that elusive first job.

No comments: